But with budget/time restrictions, renovating both rooms at once is hard to do.
So, if you had to choose one room to remodel over the other, which would you select first: The kitchen or the bathroom?
If you’re faced with this decision, there are a few factors which can help you decide what room to tackle first.
The weather conditions outside can impact your home renovations inside.
Right now, it’s winter in North Bay where Kitchen Gallery is located. So it’s chilly, icy and snowy.
- Usually there are multiple bathrooms in a home vs. a single kitchen
- Other cooking options (i.e. barbequing) are unavailable during the winter
- Extra budget will need to be set aside for dining/meals out
Cold winter weather complicates, well, everything. And that includes your kitchen renovation.
So if you want to transform both your kitchen and bathroom and want to start during the winter, it makes sense to tackle the bathroom first.
You’re planning to sell your home soon
An old rule of thumb is that when it comes to kitchen and bathroom design, kitchens tend to generate the better return on investment.
This makes sense, since the kitchen is a social hub (as well as where meals are cooked and enjoyed).
You have no plans to sell your home
You love your home. You love its location. You love the neighbourhood.
If that’s you, then ask yourself the following questions:
Where in the home do you and your family spend the most time together?
- For a majority of people, the answer is the kitchen. If you feel the same way, then the choice is obvious: renovate the kitchen first.
Do you love taking long baths or relaxing showers?
- Maybe you’d rather spend an hour in a luxurious bubble bath and 3 minutes microwaving a frozen pizza. In that case, start with the bathroom.
It’s important to consider what’s important to you and how/where in your home can deliver that for you.
Simplicity and convenience
Any kitchen and bathroom installation is bound to bring a certain amount of inconvenience to your life.
It’s simply unavoidable.
So you’ll need to consider things like:
- How much inconvenience can you tolerate to get the results you want
- What room can you give up for an extended amount of time
- Can you arrange other alternatives (like a makeshift kitchen) while the work is being done
If cooking at home is important to your family, then you should remodel the bathroom first.
If you can’t do without your soaker tub, then it makes sense to start with the kitchen.
Want to remodel your kitchen or bathroom? Start with Kitchen Gallery
Whether having a new kitchen or bathroom is the top priority, Kitchen Gallery can help make it happen for you.
The first step is to request a FREE in-home consultation.
That’s where a design expert will come to your house (you choose the date & time) to talk about your plans and what options are available to you.
It’s easy. It’s free. And it’s a great way to begin planning your kitchen or bathroom renovation.